We’re looking for a Ruby dev to join our full-stack engineering team. Working closely with your squad of developers, product managers, designers & stakeholders from the whole business,you’ll be ensuring customers can browse our product catalogue via an API, store items in cart, check out and purchase and then in the background orchestrate our global network of manufacturers and couriers.
Our e-commerce stack is built using Solidus, the Ruby e-commerce engine forked from Spree. We do a lot for the community, not least of all regularly contributing features and bug fixes upstream. We recently hosted SolidusConf in London and are lucky to count a core committer in our team. We sell in every country in the world and have implemented a large and ever growing network of payment providers. We are directly connected to a global network of manufacturers who use our custom system to direct millions of orders around the world.
Who, or what, is Wonderbly?
We're glad you asked! At Wonderbly we're making the most technically ambitious physical books ever invented. Ever. We’re making storybooks magical for a new generation by creating impossible stories on a timeless medium; like a story that is created entirely out of a child’s name, or making a book with 10,000 illustrations, OR the world's first book that shows your own neighbourhood, your own street, your own house(!) in a book made especially for you (using NASA images). Oh, and speaking of NASA, we’d like to take this opportunity to brag that Tim Peake read Our Incredible Intergalactic Journey Home in actual space.
We write, illustrate, build, design, and sell all of our products directly, and have a terrific team working to produce our wonderful products spanning from Art Directors to Dev Ops. Working together we have sold more than 2.5 million books, games and posters in every country in the world, and we’re just getting started! With the work you’ll do here with us, we’d like to think we’re on track towards becoming the UK’s most admired creative company.
Engineering at Wonderbly
At Wonderbly we take our engineering seriously. We empower teams to make their own decisions and choose the best tools for the job. There is no mandated stack and while we work together to make smart decisions, we prefer creativity over conformity. Each team supports their stack end-to-end, from design to scale to uptime. We make sure each system has clear contracts with no hand-offs.
As for technology we choose tooling suitable for the domain. For example we build our website using Nodejs & React. Our e-commerce system is built using the open source Solidus project, written in Ruby. We actively contribute open source code, especially in Solidus (we employ developers who are on the core team). Our product rendering is an exciting mixture of tooling and languages, reflecting the demands of our complex products, pushing the modern web stack into publishing tech.
Together we form a talented team of individuals mixing experience, gender and domain expertise in our Hackney studio. No-one should ever stop learning so every year you will have a training/conference budget to use at your discretion. We make time to fine-tune our stacks as part of our roadmap and you’ll always be considering ways to improve what we do.. Finally, you’ll love our Lunch & Learn sessions, which can be engineering specific or delivered by an inspirational guest. The best way to find out more is to apply - we’d love to show you around
A bit about you
- You have a love for beautifully crafted products that delight people
- Lots of Ruby/Rails experience with emphasis on well modularised, easy to maintain and review code
- Considerate of other systems and design thoughtful APIs
- A deep understanding and thirst for ever more knowledge of the modern web stack
- Enjoy working in ecommerce at a global scale
- Pairing with other engineers is second nature
- Loves to contribute to joint design sessions
- Always happy to review peers work
- Constantly thinking of new directions and improvements we can take based on data, and be able to articulate your ideas to the team
What you'll be doing
- Collaborate with engineers, designers and product managers to deliver new experiences for our website
- Contribute to the design and architecture of our ecommerce stack
- Working to build in Solidus
- Work with our BI team to get the data you need to deliver improvements to conversion, speed, quality and efficiency - be that in page rendering, build improvements or A/B tests
- Build for ever growing numbers of users, products and transactions
Why join Wonderbly?
- You’ll get a sweet, SWEET training budget. £1k to attend whichever conference or training you’d like, wherever you like. Or you could learn some Spanish in Dalston, it's your call.
- We offer Yoga class every Monday night; just one of the many ways we keep centred and calm, despite the (occasional) chaos of startup life.
- We also have massages if yoga isn’t your thing, for everyone who wants one on Fridays.
- A lot to think about? We offer mental health support through Sanctus, where you can speak to a wellness coach about how you’re doing.
- Childcare vouchers, health insurance and our cycle to work scheme will keep you and your family in tip-top shape.
- We have an office sauna, showers, and secure bike parking facilities.
- We also provide a matched pension contribution to show you we care.
- We have heaps of snacks. Like, so many snacks. And you can always suggest your favourite new ones to be added to our shopping trolley.
- Speaking of food: Team lunches. We nearly forgot team lunches. Every Thursday our Studio Manager, Shim, orders some super delish food from somewhere in London and we gorge ourselves. It sounds intense, but it's actually quite chill.
- Our office is full of puppies.